Did You Know?
Summer is almost upon us – are you prepared for fun in the sun? Make sure you have your sunscreen packed and sunglasses on, as June 21 marks the start of summer, or the 'summer solstice'. The term 'solstice' comes from a Latin term, meaning 'the sun stands still', given that the Sun's noon position in the sky doesn't notably change when compared to the rest of the year. Historically, this natural phenomenon is celebrated by extravagant bonfires and celebrations at Stonehenge, as the solstices are the only days of the year on which the rocks' shadows perfectly align. Learn more about ancient events and celebrations from across the world as we welcome the beginning of summer.
5 Things to Know in June!
Don't miss these upcoming FICP events.
The June digital edition of MeetingsNet is now available.
Join us in Savannah, Georgia, for the 2019 FICP Fall Symposium. Learn more.
Meet the Keynote Speakers for the 2019 FICP Canadian Seminar. Learn more.
From Social: Transparency in Communication. Learn more.
Stay in Savannah
Join FICP in sensational Savannah September 18-20 for the 2019 FICP Fall Symposium. Located in the center of this bustling Southern city, our host hotel Andaz Savannah’s chic accommodations are surrounded by the city’s famous Spanish Moss and historic monuments. Rooms are filling quickly! Meeting professionals, register now to secure your spot.
Meet the Canadian Seminar Keynote Speakers
Wayne Lee has been called Canada’s “crown prince” of hypnotism, boasting a mastery of the craft that few others come close to. During a networking breakfast at the 2019 FICP Canadian Seminar, he’ll display techniques to access inner strength through relaxation and mind-focusing in order to better handle stress and achieve dreams. Justin Kingsley is a bestselling author, storyteller, strategist, creative director, photographer and former press secretary under Prime Minister Paul Martin. In his keynote at the 2019 FICP Canadian Seminar, he’ll open up about his biggest failures and, more importantly, the lessons learned that helped make him and the people around him better. Learn more about the keynote speakers and register to join us August 12 in Toronto.
Excel can perform so many functions for the meeting industry professional, from handling budgets, managing registration and client data and so much more. Attend this month’s FICP Anytime webinar for an opportunity to explore the rich functionality that Excel has to offer and start working right away with tools to save you and your organization time and money.
Critical Excel Tools for the Meetings Professional
June 25, 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. CDT
Presented by James Spellos, President, Meeting U
CMP-IS Domain G: Meeting or Event Design, 1 CE
Log in to TheNetwork to register for the webinar
Join the Silent Auction Sub-Committee
Interested in helping FICP make an impact on the local Austin community this fall? Join the Silent Auction sub-committee, and help seek out donations and promote the auction. Submit an application in TheNetwork to get involved.
FICP Member of the Month: Meet Sonia Maldonado, CMP
Sonia Maldonado, CMP is the Assistant Vice President, Manager of Meetings, Events and Travel Services at General Reinsurance Corp. (A Berkshire-Hathaway Company) based in Stamford, CT. She’s served on the FICP Membership Committee for three years and planned, managed and executed an event for Warren Buffet. But she’s never realized her childhood dream of becoming a chocolate tester. Get to know Sonia on TheNetwork!
What has been your favorite moment of your career so far? When our Chairman & CEO asked me to plan, manage and execute an event that our owner, Warren Buffet, was hosting for a large audience during the Berkshire Annual Meeting in Omaha, NE. It was an honor, privilege and a very rewarding experience.
What You May Have Missed in TheNetwork
Here are some recent discussion threads you may have missed this month in TheNetwork:
Strategic Partner Profiles
Leona Balthazar, VP of Sales, Island Partners Hawai'i
"Being an FICP Strategic Partner generates an incredible ROI, well beyond dollars. The ongoing benefits and recognition, from the front-page listing on the FICP website, to the confirmed spots in both the Annual Conference and the Educational Forum, to FICP Leadership’s constant reinforcement of Strategic Partners’ value to FICP members, truly leverage our effort and investment"
Check out Island Partners Hawai'i's newest event theme: Legends of the Pacific Islands
"Personalized Creativity… Exacting Attention to Detail… Cultural Sensitivity… There are NO limits!"
FICP Welcomes New & Returning Members and Hospitality Partners
- Meredith Martin, Allstate Insurance Company
- Sarah Pappas, Ameritas
- Rick Burns, Bankers Fidelity Life
- Deborah Kane, Columbia Threadneedle Investments
- Matt Casey, IMT Insurance Company
- Alexis Hunter, New York Life Insurance Company
- Jennifer Savica, New York Life Insurance Company
- Olena Maziar, Northwestern Mutual
- Sheri Paape, Northwestern Mutual
- Kevin Maille, Northwestern Mutual
- Juanita Guzman, Northwestern Mutual
- Sheila Vichich-Beutin, Northwestern Mutual
- Allison Richardson, Northwestern Mutual
- John Castino, Northwestern Mutual
- Stephanie Mehail, Northwestern Mutual
- Emily Lenz, Northwestern Mutual
- Elina Khusid, Penn Mutual Life Insurance Company
- Kerianne Szewczyk, Prudential
- Natalie McNair, Prudential
- Caitlin Barrett, Prudential
- Paul Eder, The Agents’ Marketing Group
- Laura Moser, The Baltimore Life Insurance Company
- Emily Muniz, New York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge
- Maggi Calder, 360 Destination Group
- Kat Wright, EventWright
- Todd Dunlap, Landry & Kling Global Cruise Events
- Suzanne Reid, MC&A
- Lourdes Bizarro, Los Cabos Tourism Board
- Harrison Lipner, Lotte New York Palace
- Lily Cohen, Lotte New York Palace
- Mark Marino, GPS Destination Group
- John Lyons, JW Marriott Marquis Miami
- Erin Ridgway, Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
- Gwendolyn Mueller, Omni Amelia Island
- Jill Schnaps, 360 Destination Group
- Tony Scarnecchia, Wild Dunes Resort
- Lori Aparicio, The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas
- Cindy Sullivan, High Peaks Resort
- Shawn Bendig, The Kessler Collection
- Elizabeth Winstanley, Hilton Worldwide
- Hazy Blanck, Andaz Savannah
- Angela Taylor, Ace Hotel New Orleans
- Chagrin Olivo, InterContinental San Juan Hotel
Winners of 2019 Recruitment Contest Announced
- Linda Burley, SLS Las Vegas Hotel & Casino
- Darlene Catan, Insurance Meeting Network
- Courtney Church, Corinthian Events
- Peter Cronin, Discover the Palm Beaches
- Marie Elliott, Eaton Vance Management
- Tara McNamara, Capital City Events
- Lisa Ray, The Resort at Pelican Hill
- Gina Rodigou, DMC Network
- Caryn Rosenthal, Buy The Sea