Did You Know?
Last year, Americans spent over $3 billion shopping online on Cyber Monday, making it the largest e-commerce sales day in the country. But where did this all begin? In 2005, Ellen Davis, senior vice president of research and strategic initiatives for the National Retail Federation, and her team noticed an increase in online spending on the Monday after Thanksgiving for the previous several years. The group jumped on this opportunity and issued a press release days before Thanksgiving, in which the term "Cyber Monday," was introduced. The press release revealed that 77 percent of online retailers noticed a substantial increase in sales on this day annually. Since 2005, Cyber Monday sales have increased each year by $100 million. Read more about the history of Cyber Monday and check out these fun facts.
5 Things to Know in November
View our upcoming events.
The November digital edition of MeetingsNet is now available.
The 17th Annual Silent Auction raised $90,029 to benefit three charities. Learn more.
Meet the 2019 FICP Board of Directors and the 2019 Hospitality Partner Advisory Committee. Learn more.
From Social: Get a recap of the 2018 FICP Annual Conference in photos! Learn more.
Registration Is Now Open for the 2019 FICP Winter Symposium
FICP meetings professional members are invited to register for the Winter Symposium taking place at The Ritz-Carlton, Boston, January 27-29. A noteworthy line-up of speakers and sessions focused on industry trends will define the event, with several memorable networking events that allow the opportunity to connect with colleagues -- making this the perfect kick-off to your year! Register now.
Registration for eligible hospitality partners will open in early December.
FICP Raises $90,029 in Support of Three Charitable Organizations
FICP's 17th Annual Silent Auction raised $90,029 to support three Orlando-based charities, Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Florida, Orlando Health – Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children and United Against Poverty. The selection of these organizations is consistent with FICP’s long-standing tradition of using Silent Auction proceeds to benefit the local community that not only generously hosts its signature event, but serves as the home to many of its hospitality partners and members. Read more.
Introducing 2019 FICP Leadership
FICP is pleased to welcome the following individuals to the 2019 Board of Directors: Meredith Brewer, Corporate Vice President – Corporate Events, New York Life Insurance Company; Laura Rodrigues, CMP, CMM, Senior Manager, Corporate Events, RBC Insurance Services, Inc.; and Jennifer Squeglia, CMP, Independent Contractor, Boston Private. By acclamation, Wayne Robinson, CMP, CMM, Assistant Vice President, FM Global, will become the 2019 Chair. Marcia Merando, LLIF, FLMI, LUTCF, Director of Marketing, Frankenmuth Insurance, will serve as Immediate Past Chair.
The FICP Board of Directors has appointed David Riederman, Director, Global Accounts, Hyatt Hotels Corporation, chair of the FICP Hospitality Partner Advisory Committee (HPAC), effective January 1, 2019. The HPAC welcomes Lori James-Brownell, President and Owner of AZA Events, Inc.; and Lisa Ray, Director of Financial and Insurance Sales for The Resort at Pelican Hill, to three-year terms on the HPAC. Read the full press release here.
Strategic Partner Profiles
Catherine Chaulet, President, Global DMC Partners
"Our FICP Strategic Partnership is valuable to us because it gives us the opportunity to connect with planners and learn about what’s most important to them and their specific needs within the financial and insurance industries. Everything moves so rapidly in today’s world, so needs are constantly evolving and changing. Therefore, getting a chance to understand what financial and insurance planners are looking for is key so we can then educate our DMC Partners around the world to ensure they are adapting as well."
Global DMC Partners is the largest global network of hand-picked Destination Management Companies (DMCs), giving you access to local event professionals in over 500 destinations around the world. Our DMCs have the best local connections and creative know-how to ensure your program is exceptional, unique and perfect, anyplace, anywhere. With a dedicated Global Sales Advisor with you from sourcing through program execution and evaluation, we are committed and dedicated to the clients we serve, and more importantly, passionate about providing the highest level of service and quality to the meetings and events community.
David J. Manzella, Senior Vice President of Sales & Marketing, Fiesta Americana
"Today’s competitive market is ever changing and by aligning as a Strategic Partner with FICP, Fiesta Americana Grand Meetings Mexico has forged a partnership with a truly professional organization that has the influencers and decision makers to get things accomplished in our industry. In addition, as Fiesta American Hotels & Resorts continues to evolve and expand our hotel footprint, it is ideal we have the opportunity to communicate all this excitement with our partners at FICP while moving forward in this competitive market."
Come see all that’s new and exciting with Fiesta Americana Grand Meetings Mexico!
FICP Welcomes New & Returning Members and Hospitality Partners
- Taylor Brightwell, Symetra
- Dana, Fier, Pacific Life
- Nicole Fry, Great-West Life/London Life/Canada Life
- Katina Jakubowski, Capitala Group
- Cindy Lamey, OneAmerica
- Heather Payne, RBC Capital Markets
- Vikki Perfield, Pacific Life
- Laura Ricker, Pacific Life
- TJ Ryan, ISU Insurance Agency Network
- Miguel Assis, VOQIN experiences & events | Brazil
- Anne Bergen, Meet Atlantic City
- Jessica Bloom, Millennium Hilton One UN Plaza
- Brittany Boldizsar, Boston Harbor Hotel
- Traci Bradley, The Kessler Collection
- Rowland Cheeks, Park Hyatt Beaver Creek Resort and Spa
- Wendy deBen, ACCENT New Orleans
- Mikki DeJurnett, The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas
- Jason Fuqua, Omni Orlando Resort At ChampionsGate
- Kate Gilbertson, Koncept Events, LLC.
- Julie Hannigan, Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort
- Lauren Harwell, Imprint Events Group
- Jennifer Jones, Rosewood Hotels & Resorts
- Jim Kelley, PRG
- Declan Lott, Edwardian Hotels London
- Paola Madera, Connect Travel Services DMC
- Shelley Matheny, Hello! Destination Management
- Amy McCaig, FreemanXP
- Elizabeth Minnella, Gurney's Resorts
- Dana Oliveira, The Hotel Viking
- Travis Pham, 360 Destination Group
- Arleen Redhead, Radisson Grenada Beach Resort
- Chris Resich, MC&A, Inc - Hawaii
- Jesse Suglia, InterContinental Hotels Group
- Randy Tarr, Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort
- Fred Trimble, The Watergate Hotel
- David Umanzio, Westin Mission Hills Resort
- Charles Williams, Rocco Forte Hotels
- Rachel Williamson, Gleneagles