- the quality or state of being healthy in body and mind, especially as the result of deliberate effort.
- to an approach to healthcare that emphasizes preventing illness and prolonging life, as opposed to emphasizing treating diseases .
How will you be a better person in 2018? A great first step is putting wellness and self-care at the forefront of your goals for the year. Emphasizing personal wellness will help you to be the best version of yourself, which will shine through in your personal and professional relationships and career. The meetings industry is demanding and a surefire way to put out great work is to take care of yourself first. In this Education Essentials, we’ll provide some suggestions for how to promote wellness, both within yourself and for your peers.
A Step-by-Step Process
Wellness and self-care is often simplified as a hot bath after a long day or a nice dinner after a work triumph. And though these actions can help you unwind and refresh, wellness is a process that takes time to achieve, especially in the workplace. This blog post by Lynn Lee and Angel Tassone provides a few ways you can practice mindfulness in the workplace.
If you’re looking for a more abstract approach to understanding wellness, check out this infographic to learn more about The Five Energies of Design for Meeting Professionals, each with its own “atmospheric” energy. You may feel like a social chemist, carefully mixing elements to find just the right formula for your events. Read the blog post from Lynn Lee here and view the infographic below.
As you travel, take another look at this blog post from October 2017 on how to be a smarter traveler. When you feel safe, you’re promoting personal wellness. Here are some highlights to keep in mind this year:
- A stash of Cold-EEze and/or AirBorne may help stave off a sudden case of the sniffles
- On long flights, be cognizant about getting up and stretching and relaxing the back. Compression socks help prevent blood clots and aid circulation
- Layers can be your best friend in destinations that move from hot to cold temperatures quickly
- Understand your medical policy benefits when it comes to traveling internationally. What happens if you fall ill or need to go to the hospital? Your HR or Risk Management liaison and your health care provider should be able to let you know what's covered and what isn't
Wellness with FICP
We practice what we preach at FICP and incorporated many health and wellness activities into the 2018 FICP Winter Symposium in Boston last week. We started one afternoon session with Yoga in a Chair to get the blood flowing. Attendees learned stretches they can do at their own desks throughout the day to relax and refresh. During lunch, chair massages were offered to relieve the tension that sitting all day can cause. Attendees brainstormed more wellness tips and tricks on chalkboard walls in the foyer.
Connecting with each other and sharing success stories and challenges is a staple of FICP events. The Idea Exchange session format encourages sharing and learning from our experts within. Check out the discussion on Finding Balance as a Road Warrior for some tips on how to promote wellness on the road.
#TBT - 2015 Wellness Studio
Remember the Wellness Studio at the 2015 FICP Education Forum? It featured a wellness tip board, recipes for on-the-go meetings professionals, helpful articles, and massage chairs!
Access Great Content Daily
Follow FICP on Facebook and Twitter to get important updates and timely articles. Here's what you may have missed this month: