Thank you for presenting at the 2021 FICP Annual Conference! Use this resource as a one-stop-shop while preparing for your session. If you have any questions along the way, please reach out to Sarah Logan.
Tip! Pending your speaking role, not all sections on this page will be relevant to your session and/or participation. When in doubt, connect with the FICP Education Team.
- Conference Dates: November 14 – 17, 2021
- Provide FICP with flight Info: September 30, 2021
- Participate on a Prep Call: October 13 – November 3, 2021
- Submit Your Presentation Deck: November 8, 2021
Preparing for Your Onsite Experience
Travel & Hotel Information
Make Your Content Stick!
Market Your Presentation
With a history spanning 60 years, Financial & Insurance Conference Professionals (FICP®) provides access to education, experience and resources targeting the needs of financial services and insurance meeting professionals from across North America. FICP offers first-rate conferences, symposia, virtual networking and educational opportunities to assist the development of high-caliber meetings professionals. These resources also serve to help meetings professionals increase their success and strategic value. FICP boasts a community of 1,500 meetings and events professionals and hospitality partners and maintains a unique, balanced planner-to-hospitality partner ratio at all events.
PREPARING FOR YOUR ONSITE EXPERIENCE
Our Health & Safety Protocols
The health and safety of our 2021 Annual Conference attendees and speakers remains our top priority as we return to in-person events. We are making preparations to hold the 2021 Annual Conference in accordance with currently applicable national government and local authority guidance, as well as working with the JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa to ensure the highest standards of safety, hygiene, cleanliness and operational effectiveness for all participants.
While full event details and health and safety protocols are still being finalized, you can anticipate we will follow CDC guidelines at this year's event. We will be updating this page as the event draws closer with detailed information about what you can expect when you can attend the 2021 Annual Conference. For more information, please visit our website.
Audio/Visual Provided & Layout
More information to come closer to conference.
TRAVEL & HOTEL INFORMATION
The 2021 FICP Annual Conference will be held at the JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa. You can read more about the accommodations here.
JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa
5350 E. Marriott Dr.
Phoenix, AZ 85054 USA
- Airport: Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX)
- About a 25 minute ride to the hotel
- Transportation: Uber or Lyft
- There will not be a shuttle to and from the PHX airport and the conference location
Presentations are due November 8, 2021. Submit your final presentation materials to Sarah Logan (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Utilize the 2021 FICP Annual Conference PowerPoint Template for your presentation to ensure all presentations are unified under the conference theme.
- To support greener, more sustainable conference practices we will not provide hard copies of presentation materials; instead, these materials will be available via the conference mobile app for attendees' use before and after the conference.
- When creating your slide deck, reference our presentation best practices under the Make Your Content Stick! section below.
The FICP Education Team will organize a prep call before going onsite. During this call, we will review your outline and/or PowerPoint if ready. After reviewing content, we will cover logistics and health & safety.
MAKE YOUR CONTENT STICK!
Adult Learning Principles
Various studies show that within one hour, people forget 50 percent of new information presented. Within 24 hours, that number rises to 70 percent, and within a week, it rockets to 90 percent. Use the following guidelines to help you tailor your presentation to adult learners:
PowerPoint Best Practices
Creating slides for a presentation allows you to paint a picture for the audience. Slides should serve as an outline for your presentation, not a script. A good goal is to have no more than one slide for every two to three minutes; a one-hour presentation should have no more than 25–30 slides. When creating content, aim to keep slides SIMPLE:
- Short and sweet: Limit your slides to seven lines of text and seven words per line
- Illustrations: Use images and infographics in lieu of text; white space helps emphasize the most important point
- Maintain font color and size: Consider your delivery method; can attendees see the text from the back of the room?
- Placement: Ensure your message does not get lost; it should be front and center
- Less is best: A learner can only absorb so much from one slide
- Enrich: Build in videos, polling and/or other interactive elements; give your slides a story
Audience Engagement Strategies
Research shows that attention is at its highest when something unexpected is introduced into a learning activity — for example, humor, polling, an activity, a visual aid or group discussion. For the best results, pick a few interactive elements to incorporate into your presentation:
- Incorporate learning activities to demonstrate value
- Tell a story
- Play a quick game
- Poll your audience (we recommend slido’s free version!)
Handouts are a fantastic and helpful way to engage your audience and trim your slide deck. Freshen up on the top tips for effective presentation handouts.
MARKET YOUR PRESENTATION
Be sure to follow and tag FICP on Facebook, Twitter and Linkedin, and use the hashtag #FICP21 when promoting your session on social media!