Did you Know?
Memorial Day, also known as Decoration Day, originally honored those who died in the Civil War. It's believed that Memorial Day was first marked in Waterloo, New York in 1866. After World War I, Memorial Day was expanded to honor all those who died in any American war. But it wasn't until 1971 that Congress declared Memorial Day a national holiday, to be celebrated the last Monday of May each year. It is customary to fly the flag at half-staff until noon, and then raise it to the top of the staff until sunset. Learn more here and here. The Canadian province of Newfoundland and Labrador commemorates a Memorial Day (sometimes called Commemoration Day) on July 1, in tandem with Canada Day.
5 Things to Know in May
We're entering a busy season for FICP events. Check our interactive calendar for the full line-up.
The May digital edition of MeetingsNet is now available.
Just a few spots remain for meetings professionals to attend the Education Forum next month in Vancouver.
Hospitality Partners: Recently, we hosted a webinar about navigating the website and TheNetwork. Did you miss it? Catch the recording here (login required).
From Social: Make your communication more memorable - Tips in this FICP Short from Annette Gregg, MBA, CMM, Senior Vice President, AlliedPRA.
See you in Vancouver?
If you haven’t heard, the 2018 FICP Education Forum is just around the corner, taking place at the JW Marriott Parq Vancouver. From breakout sessions focused on leadership, risk management, tech productivity and more to a top-notch keynote lineup, this year’s Education Forum offers something for everyone. Plus, we’re shaking up networking with a scavenger hunt around Vancouver.
There are still a few meetings professional registration spots left. Secure yours now.
Apply to Attend the Strategic Leaders Event
FICP members with at least 10 years of meetings management experience who currently oversee meeting planning functions along with staffing, budget and policy responsibilities, are invited to apply to attend the 2018 FICP Strategic Leaders Event, December 3-4 for roundtable discussion and networking with fellow strategic leaders. This event is intended for the most senior management professional within a company's meeting planning department. There is a limit of one (1) attendee per company. However, attendees may be accepted from both a parent company and subsidiary. We anticipate remaining spots at this exclusive event to fill quickly. Apply now to secure your spot.
Join us in Toronto or Maine
Meetings professional registration for both the 2018 FICP Canadian Seminar and 2018 FICP Fall Symposium is now open! We'll be in Toronto on August 16 for a day of education and networking dedicated to the unique needs of Canadian meetings professionals. Or, consider the Fall Symposium, hosted at The Cliff House in Oguniquit, Maine, October 3-5. Register now for either event!
Strategic Partner Profiles
Kelly Bliznik, Insurance Meetings & Incentives, Disney Destinations
"I love that FICP brings Meetings Professionals and Hospitality Partners together in cool locations to share best practices and industry trends, while learning about each other through unique experiences."
Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort, one of the largest single-level convention hotels on the East Coast, is expanding over the next year, adding new dining options, accommodations, meeting spaces, and outdoor networking spaces. The new resort enhancements will elevate the overall experience for meetings professionals and attendees at Walt Disney World® Resort. Learn more.
Dan Tavrytzky, Managing Director
"Our Strategic Partnership with FICP is essential for the DMC Network as it gives us face-to-face time with a highly qualified, engaged community of meetings and events professionals who need the local knowledge and expertise that we bring in destination services across North America, the Caribbean and Mexico."
FICP Welcomes New & Returning Members and Hospitality Partners
- Anna Bacovin, Philadelphia Insurance Companies
- Crystal Bell, CMP, Ernst & Young
- James Claudio, AAA
- Cindy Friedman, Nationwide Insurance
- Amit Kataby, LPL Financial
- Ceri Riihiluoma, Ironshore Insurance Services LLC
- Kimberly Morris, LPL Financial
- Kelly Porter, Manulife Canada
- Kimberly Altobelli, Grand Hyatt Playa Del Carmen Resort
- Amy Altorfer, Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
- Tiffany Alves, The Beekman, A Thompson Hotel
- Alexis Anninos, Wyndham Hotel Group
- Jeff Barry, Montage Palmetto Bluff
- Carmela Buenrostro, InterContinental Los Angeles Downtown
- Vita Canizaro, The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa
- Christopher De Medeiros, Destination Puerto Rico
- Emily Dietrich, Niagara Parks Commission
- Laura Dolan, JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa
- Amy Falter, Choose Chicago
- Peter Francis, The Ritz-Carlton Bachelor Gulch and The Ritz-Carlton Lake Tahoe
- Catharine Gracon, InterContinental Hotels Group
- Jessica Jankowski, Pendry San Diego
- Dina Kazan, Fairmont Hotels & Resorts
- Elaine Keller, Kuoni Destination Management
- Betty Lin, NoMad Los Angeles
- Jessica Loesch, Effetto Italy
- Katie McCasey, AlliedPRA San Diego
- Zahra McDonald, The Balmoral, A Rocco Forte Hotel
- Tamara McGiboney, Visit Carlsbad
- Shelley Meixell, Global DMC Partners
- Cheryl Miller, Terramar
- Jessica Niblett, AlliedPRA Orange County
- Lisa Paul, Kuoni Destination Management
- Rudolf Rannegger, Ovation DMC - Spain & Portugal
- Ben Sauvage, Connect Travel Services DMC
- Sandra Silva, Scottsdale Resort at McCormick Ranch
- Robert Sponder, The Omni Grove Park Inn
- Steven Tanzer, TripBuilder Media Inc.
- Jonathan Urban, Grand Hyatt Playa Del Carmen Resort