On August 21, all of North America will get to experience a total solar eclipse. Contrary to popular belief, this actually isn't a rare occurrence - total solar eclipses occur every 18 months. Do you plan on viewing the eclipse this month? Learn more about this astronomical event here.
Five Things to Know in August
- Our Fall Symposium next month will have a unique twist on networking: a tram ride to the top of Sandia's Peak! Learn more about it here.
- It's FICP's 60th Anniversary! Thank you for 60 years of community and excellence with many more to come.
- Are you a Certified Meeting Planner yet? Take advantage of FICP's CMP Center here.
- The August digital edition of MeetingsNet is now available!
- From social: Challenges: What's your biggest challenge as a meetings professional?
Now Accepting Donations for the 2017 Silent Auction
FICP is currently accepting donations with a minimum retail value of $75 for the 2017 Annual Conference Silent Auction. Participation from both meetings professionals and hospitality partners is strongly encouraged. A wide variety of items are appreciated, including theater and sporting event tickets, marathon and race entries, spa packages, hotel stays, and restaurant gift certificates. We encourage you to be creative with your donation and offering value-adds, unique experiences or touches will enhance the dollars bid on the package. All Silent Auction proceeds will benefit Junior Achievement® (JA) National, as well as JA of San Diego.
Donations are due by October 13; bidding begins September 27.
Planners or Professionals? Cast Your Vote and Tell us What You Think
The FICP Board of Directors has approved a change in the organization's name, from Financial & Insurance Conference Planners, to Financial & Insurance Conference Professionals, to better align with our recently elevated vision to amplify the positive impact and value of our members.
To learn more about this decision, please review this letter from 2017 FICP Chair Joseph Scully.
We need your help to make this change. If you haven't already, please cast your vote by Friday, August 25, and be sure to encourage fellow meetings professionals to do the same. Please note, only current meetings professionals members in good standing may cast a vote.
Endless Summer, Endless Impact: What's New at the 2017 FICP Annual Conference?
The 2017 FICP Annual Conference is approaching quickly! Taking place November 12 – 15 at the Manchester Grand Hyatt in San Diego, CA, FICP’s flagship event offers education and networking unlike other events. This year, we’re excited to provide several unique experiences for attendees, such as:
- A first from FICP, the Experience Zone will showcase top tech trends and allow attendees to try them out firsthand.
- Networking at the event will be next level! Attendees will visit San Diego hot spots like the Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina, the Hotel del Coronado and the USS Midway.
- In addition to an all-star education lineup, the Annual Conference will offer a Speaker Showcase and talks from four outstanding keynote speakers.
- Attendees will have the opportunity to gain knowledge and new connections to help you increase your impact
The time to secure your registration is now! Register by September 29 and take advantage of discounted registration rates.
Save Your Spot in Santa Fe for the Fall Symposium
The Summer Symposium is next week, but there's still time to register for the Fall Symposium taking place in Santa Fe! Like the summer edition, the Fall Symposium will have something for everybody - from the seasoned meeting professionals to the beginners. Learn more about what the Fall Symposium entails and stay tuned for highlights from next week's Summer Symposium.
In Q2, we surveyed you to learn a bit about trends impacting your work. Take a look at this blog post and then download the full Pulse Survey Report. A few highlights:
- 34% of meetings professionals report an increase in the size of their meetings; 51% report that the quantity of meetings is also increasing.
- 92% of hospitality partners expect business to increase or remain the same in the near future.
Strategic Partner Profiles
FICP Strategic Partners support the organization year-round. This month, learn more about Island Partners Hawaii and Silversea.
FICP Welcomes New & Returning Members and Hospitality Partners
Julie Mallia, Aviva Canada Inc.
Wilma Rosario, Foresters Financial Services, Inc.
Maura Mooney, Liberty Mutual
Christina Mirasolo, Liberty Mutual
Sarah Lintner, M&T Bank
Maura Strahley, MasterCard Worldwide
Amanda Brennan, Prudential
Helen Kefalas, RBC Insurance
Alyssa Potts, Transamerica
Kelly Kellin, CMP U.S. Bank
Melissa Moten, AlliedPRA
Mitzi Forrester, Beaver Creek Resort Company
Jennifer Stotz, Caesars Entertainment
Tara Miller, Destination DC
Laura Vargo, Destination DC
Catherine Chaulet, Global DMC Partners
Cheryl Cadelina, Hilton Toronto
Judy Sirchia, Hilton Worldwide
Brenda Hanfling, Horeshoe Bay Resort
Kristen Wischmeyer, Hyatt Regency O'Hare
Christopher McAnany, Kuoni Destination Management
Josephine Fontana, Lotte New York Palace
Read Sutton, Meetings + Conventions Calgary
Kristina Oumedlouz, MGM Resorts International
Jena D'Amico, Park MGM
Monica Hubert, CFBE, Resort at Squaw Creek
Rodney Hubenig, The Fairmont Royal York
Jaime Shirley, Thompson Nashville